Daily Bible Verse

Thursday, November 5, 2015

The Frugal Life November 5, 2015










Read Matthew 6:24-34

Matthew 6:26      Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?

Psalm 104:27     All creatures look to you to give them their food at the proper time.

Psalm 104:28     When you give it to them, they gather it up; when you open your hand, they are satisfied with good things.

Psalm 147:9     He provides food for the cattle and for the young ravens when they call.

Matthew 10:29     Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father's care.

Luke 12:18     "Then he said, 'This is what I'll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain.

Luke 12:24     Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds!

I was standing in a slow-moving supermarket line, leaning wearily on my shopping cart as I edged toward the cashier. My eyes fell on the contents of my cart — piled high with things that weren’t really necessary: crisps, sweets, the latest magazine, a pre-prepared meal.

I venture to suggest that many of us can live more frugally. What prompts us to buy so much? Is it simple carelessness, or do we like to stockpile? Or perhaps we buy what advertisers tell us we need.
In scripture, Jesus teaches us not to worry about our daily needs, to choose instead to seek God’s kingdom above all else. I believe that if our focus were indeed on seeking the righteousness of God, we wouldn’t spend so much on ourselves. Perhaps the money we would have spent could be used to help someone in need rather than to line our own cupboards. And we may well discover that as we give, our own lives are enriched as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment