Daily Bible Verse

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Time Well Spent December 27, 2015










Read Ruth 1:11-17

Psalm 71:9      Do not cast me away when I am old; do not forsake me when my strength is gone.

Psalm 92:14     They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green,

Psalm 119:8     I will obey your decrees; do not utterly forsake me.

Psalm 138:8     The LORD will vindicate me; your love, LORD, endures forever-- do not abandon the works of your hands.

Isaiah 46:4     Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

Job 26:2     "How you have helped the powerless! How you have saved the arm that is feeble!

Recently, I attended church services with two of my friends who are older adults. Afterwards, when they invited me to lunch with their seniors’ Sunday school class, I politely accepted, although it wasn’t my idea of fun. After lunch, I was invited to help conduct an afternoon worship service at a retirement community. This was not how I had envisioned spending the last few hours of my weekend. I wanted to entertain myself with a movie, a trip to the mall, or a cup of coffee with a friend. But I felt obligated to go to the retirement community. However, once I arrived, my attitude quickly changed. I engaged in interesting conversations, shared hugs, and watched the eyes of those older saints light up with joy, like those of young children on Christmas morning.

My Sunday afternoon at the retirement home reminded me of Ruth and the way her commitment to her mother-in-law, Naomi, has always inspired me to be a better person. Then I realized for the first time that on one level, Ruth’s story is about cherishing our elders.


When we honor older people by spending quality time with them, we show them that they are valuable, and in the process we honor God. And whenever we honor God, we walk through a doorway of unexpected riches — just like Ruth and I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment