Daily Bible Verse

Friday, December 4, 2015

In Remembrance of Me December 4, 2015







Read 1 Corinthians 11:23-26


1 Corinthians 10:16-17      Is not the cup of blessing which we bless a sharing in the blood of Christ? Is not the bread which we break a sharing in the body of Christ? Since there is one bread, we who are many are one body; for we all partake of the one bread.…

Matthew 26:26-27     While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take and eat; this is my body."
Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you.

Mark 14:23     Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, and they all drank from it.

Luke 22:17     After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, "Take this and divide it among you.

Luke 22:19-20     And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me."
In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

The residents of our retirement community gathered to celebrate World Communion Sunday. I had carefully pressed the linens with the white embroidered letters, “IN REMEMBRANCE OF ME,” and prepared the communion elements to fit the needs of our congregation. I walked to the front of the chapel as the chaplain rose for the call to worship. When I looked at the Communion table my heart sank. I had placed the linen covering backwards, showing the reverse side of the letters. Embarrassed and upset at my carelessness, I hoped no one would notice.

As the service began and I collected my thoughts, I realized that nothing could diminish the significance and simple beauty of this sacrament for me. “Take, eat. My body given for you.” “Take, drink. My blood shed for you.” Neither imperfect linens nor the size or kind of bread prepared would make a difference. Whether in stained-glass splendor or jungle hut, in a white-steepled country church or a homeless shelter, the Lord’s Supper retains its power. God meets us at the table regardless of language, color of skin, or time zone. Around the world, we all kneel at the Lord’s Table with the words of Jesus in mind: “Do this in 


No comments:

Post a Comment