Daily Bible Verse

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Endurance - March 7, 2015




 




How long is this going to go on? Oh God what's next?! Have you ever found yourself asking these questions? I f you're a believer I say good for you...

Sounds crazy I know but I say good for you because you are moving in a direction that you should go and a test or a trial is happening as a result of it. Keep doing what you're doing....don't get caught up in the visualization of it (what you thought it should look like, how it is supposed to be)
Remember what I continue to teach: the enemy often uses us to get us - John 10:10     The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
Also please remember that you are chosen by God, purchased for a price that we can never pay or repay...playing the victim and praising later dishonors the purchase. The scriptures say count it all joy... as well as... all things work together for the good of those who love Christ.

Hebrews 12:2     fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Deuteronomy 31:6     Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

Genesis 28:15     I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you."

James 1:12 ESV      Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.

Galatians 6:9 ESV      And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

The definition of perseverance is "steadfastness in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success." That seems to fit nicely with the biblical definition of the perseverance of the saints of God who after being saved must endure many trials, tests, tribulations and persecution from non-believers.  They continue steadfast in their faith because their faith is not their own but in God and it is not the strength of their faith that allows them to endure but their faith is only as strong as the Object of their faith and that is Jesus Christ.

James 1:2-4, 12 “Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.  And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. Blessed is the man who remains steadfast (or perseveres) under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.”

There is a lot to digest in this principle, don't miss the fullness of the message.  We not only will have to endure “trials of various kinds” but we must “count it all joy.”  The one who perseveres knows that “the testing of [their] faith produces steadfastness.”  When this “steadfastness [has] its full effect…you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.”  None of us are perfect so when we examine the Greek word for “perfect” which is “teleios” we see that it means that our faith is “brought to its end” or “finished” which is what the word complete means in Greek “holokleros” or “complete in all parts” or “whole.”  Just as metal is tested by fire and becomes stronger, so too is our faith tested and made stronger.  Those who stand “the test…will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.”

Romans 5:3-4 “We rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope.”


I have to be honest and say that I have my weak moments and feel that I cannot go on or I want to surrender to what my flesh is telling me to do; so it is a real stretch of the imagination for me to embrace the concept of  how we are supposed to “rejoice in our sufferings.”  We can rejoice in them if we know that we are secure in the Lord (John 10:28-29) and with the knowledge that our “suffering produces endurance.”  When I active in sports in high school, there was suffering during training  I hated to hear the basketball coach bow his whistle for wind sprints. As an asthmatic, I often  got winded early on but I learned to pace myself and do things to make breathing easier. I suffered through the practices but the suffering helped me to plan and utilize my strengths. This endurance produced character in me to not give up and this endurance that my character had developed through the sufferings gave me hope. It gave me hope that I could endure the full game and finish because I didn't give up.  My suffering produced my endurance, my endurance produced character and this character created hope in my ability to finish the game.  The same goes with the Christian who suffers.  One follows the other by necessity.

No comments:

Post a Comment