Daily Bible Verse

Sunday, April 5, 2020

Better to give

No photo description available.  Image may contain: one or more people and text


Thought for today:
Good morning kings and queens,
I’m forewarning you that this may be a rather lengthy..
I recently had an experience where I gave a gift of a dinner, nothing major, I looked at it as I was eating, why not share. The recipient of the gift said…I will return the favor. Boom…this is where my spirit shifts…. I personally feel that giving is a spiritual gift and on some levels the gesture of reciprocity felt obligatory.
The recipient of the gift explained that they wanted to be completely autonomous and as they say in cowboy movies “don’t want to be beholdin’ “
Here in lies my message…in this ying and yang exchange the recipient asked me “why can’t you receive?” This question brought me to my “Boondocks PAUSE”
My Earthly, human, response was hurt…I gave because it was on my heart to give and the response felt like a business transaction. Hey! This is my stuff so I’m going to leave it as my stuff… again I’m going back to the question….
I have to say I really gave this question great thought so I went to scripture…
I know the majority of the spirit of giving is rooted in how I was raised. I have shared that I was raised by a single mother…now to flesh this story out a bit, I was raised by a single mother but my father lived a separate life inside the home. He had numerous instances of infidelity. He was a mentally, emotionally, verbally and physically abusive alcoholic. His presence was an evil, angry energy and the fact that he regularly physically abused my mother was a weight that no kid should bear. I note the fact that my mother and her income was our sole means of support and one paycheck with 3 kids only goes so far. There were many days that…food was rationed or stretched to the point where I wished someone would step up and help out; my maternal grandparents passed away at an early age and my father’s family is what shaped his behavior (all the men led similar lives)..
Wow, this story takes lots of pauses doesn’t it?...
Back to my point…I grew up in church…my mom made it a point to see that we had a spiritual foundation. In church and in my daily life I learned that adage “it is better to give than to receive” My belief in this adage was solidified by one of the primary tenets of my faith
John 3:16 New King James Version (NKJV) 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
I searched for scripture about receiving and I can honestly tell you that almost every scripture I found mentioned “giving” and then referred to blessing being returned by God…
Deuteronomy 15:10 New King James Version (NKJV)
10 You shall surely give to him, and your heart should not be grieved when you give to him, because for this thing the Lord your God will bless you in all your works and in all to which you put your hand.
Galatians 5:22-23 New King James Version (NKJV)
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Acts 20:35 New King James Version (NKJV)
35 I have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that you must support the weak. And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ”
OK…wrapping it all up for you…I don’t have a problem with receiving. I struggle with it feeling like it’s provided as an obligation. I don’t have a problem with receiving…I struggle with it when the spirit of the gift has triggered someone….
I don’t have a problem with receiving but I’m going to receive in the Spirit and by the spirit based on my upbringing, knowing that you saw a need (whether I need food or you sense I need something to just brighten my day,) and my knowledge and promises of God.
Philippians 4: 11-13 …11 I am not saying this out of need, for I have learned to be content regardless of my circumstances. 12I know how to live humbly, and I know how to abound. I am accustomed to any and every situation— to being filled and being hungry, to having plenty and having need. 13I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.…
I give because it’s on my heart to give and it is my prayer that we all learn to give without constraint and restraint because if more people are giving the blessings will flow and change your perspective on life..
REAL TALK, learn to let your hardships in life soften your heart and your spirit…allow the spirit access to your fragility….it leads to a purity in life and love ~ KB

No comments:

Post a Comment