Daily Bible Verse

Monday, March 21, 2016

Hearing Aids March 21, 2016






Matthew 13:9-17    9 Whoever has ears, let them hear.”
10 The disciples came to him and asked, “Why do you speak to the people in parables?”
11 He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. 12 Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them. 13 This is why I speak to them in parables:
“Though seeing, they do not see;
    though hearing, they do not hear or understand.
14 In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah:
“‘You will be ever hearing but never understanding;
    you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.
15 For this people’s heart has become calloused;
    they hardly hear with their ears,
    and they have closed their eyes.
Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
    hear with their ears,
    understand with their hearts
and turn, and I would heal them.’
16 But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. 17 For truly I tell you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.


- Matthew 13:9 (NRSV)     Let anyone with ears listen!

You ever have a conversation with someone who is losing their hearing but refuses to acknowledge the fact? I ignored it right along with them for as long as I could. But when it began to interfere with my conversations with a beloved family member, I knew I needed to do something
After I addressed them, they took action and soon discovered they had been missing out on so much when they were unable to hear fully. They couldn’t grasp why people were often frustrated and impatient, and they lacked calm and peace.

The same results can occur in a relationship with God. When we don’t spend time listening to and hearing God, we lose the fruit of the Spirit and our lives lacks calm and peace. It is wonderful that God communicates in many different ways: through nature, through other people, and through the Bible.

I am so grateful that I don’t allow my intermittent “hearing impairment” to interfere with my ability to connect with God and truly listen with my whole being.

Thought for today: Does God have my undivided attention?



No comments:

Post a Comment