Daily Bible Verse

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Even a Sigh March 13, 2016




Psalm 139:1-10     You have searched me, Lord,
    and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
    you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
    you are familiar with all my ways.
4 Before a word is on my tongue
    you, Lord, know it completely.
5 You hem me in behind and before,
    and you lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.
7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
    Where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
    if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
    if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
    your right hand will hold me fast.

Psalm 139:3 (NIV)    The psalmist wrote, “You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways."

My battle with cancer taught me the difference between being tired and being fatigued. When I was tired, an inner push still allowed me to accomplish certain tasks. But when I was fatigued all I could do was think of what I wanted to do for the day and take joy in the any minuscule accomplishments. I often felt depleted. Sometimes I had no energy to eat, let alone take a shower. Some mornings I’d be so exhausted that all I could do was sigh. Then in my devotions I discovered Psalm 38:9: “O LORD, all my longing is known to you; my sighing is not hidden from you.” What a boost I felt in my spirit! God understood my deepest sigh, no matter how low or weak I felt. God loved me no matter how weary or discouraged I had become. God knew how I felt and what I longed for.

I am overwhelmed by God’s intimate love for us — that God listens for something as small as a sigh. Though our suffering may seem a huge burden, it can never keep God from caring for us.


Thought for today: Am I aware of God’s grace?

No comments:

Post a Comment