Daily Bible Verse

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Priority Perspective January 8, 2017








Matthew 6:31-33(NIV)
31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
This past Christmas season I was forced to return a gift I had purchased.

Rome may not have been built in a day, but that metropolis was put up in a shorter period of time than it took me to get permission to return that device. The automated phone assured me the company cared about me. It kept telling me my number in the line to talk to a real person (I started at 72). It notified me things were taking longer than usual, and it even played some music; it played that music again and again and again and again. Well, I finally got through and was making progress, and that's when the phone dropped the call.

As the process doesn't allow anybody to skip to the front of the line, I had to begin all over.

Most of us, when we have an important matter to take care of, want others to feel the same way. We want them to feel that way, but often they don't.

Maybe that's why the Police Department in the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office is upset with one of its officers. It's upset because it appears Officer Morris has a different view about important matters. And do I hear you asking, "Just how different?"? Well, when he was a training officer, Policeman Morris often watched TV rather than supervising his charges.

That was bad, but what really got the department upset is that Morris was their communications officer. That means he was supposed to make sure policemen were promptly sent to where they were most needed. That was his job, but unfortunately

* Officer Morris put a hit-and-run caller on hold for 40 minutes, and
* he delayed reporting a shooting for nine minutes.

And what was Officer Morris doing?

He was playing a video game!

Sometimes the Lord must look down on earth and feel the way I felt about that company which kept me on hold -- the way those callers must have felt about Officer Morris. All must feel that somebody is neglecting an important matter.

In God's case, He sent His Son, gave His Son's life for the purpose of saving humanity from its sins. And what does humanity do with that story of salvation? Most do anything and everything other than pay attention to it. They debate the story; they ignore the story; they doubt the story, but they refuse to believe the story. This is why Jesus reminds us to seek first God's kingdom and the rest will fall into place.

That should be our proper priority.


Thought for today: Do I put the unction and calling of God on hold?

No comments:

Post a Comment