Daily Bible Verse

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Abandoned January 10, 2017






Matthew 27:46 (NIV)
46 About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”)

This story is taken from a devotional:
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ:

The salvation story of Jesus Christ reaches around the world. So that the readers of our Daily Devotion may see the power of the Savior on a global scale, we have asked the volunteers of our international ministry centers to write our Sunday devotions. We pray that the Spirit may touch your day through their words.

In Christ, I remain, His servant and yours,
Kenneth R. Klaus
Speaker Emeritus of The Lutheran Hour


On January 4, 2008, something happened when I expected it the least.

On that day my mother passed away, and for my brothers and myself, this sudden loss was most painful. Still, even in the midst of all the emotional turmoil, I could see the hand of God. It was His gracious will to bring all of us to her side so we might say goodbye and offer up our prayers of thanksgiving. How could we do otherwise when He had, through His Son, saved her soul?

The day we buried mother tears clouded the eyes of some of my brothers. That is not an unexpected emotional outpouring when someone has experienced such a great loss. I remember someone approached me in the time of burial and asked, "How are you, Ivan? How can you be so serene?"

I told him that God granted me that serenity through His Holy Spirit.

It was at that moment a biblical text came into my mind. That text was Psalm 27:10, where it says, "For my father and my mother have forsaken me, but the Lord will take me in." It was also at that moment I was given a deeper insight into what the psalmist was trying to convey.

He wanted believers to know that they would never be forsaken by their loving Lord because Jesus had endured that abandonment when He hung upon the cross.

I opened this devotion with the text which quoted Jesus praying to His Father and asking why had He been forsaken. Now, seven years after my mother's departure from this world, I am able to testify that the psalmist was most accurate.

Even though both my mother and my father are gone, none of us has been forsaken. They are with their risen Redeemer in everlasting joy, and I am always comforted that there will be a reunion in heaven for all who are washed in the Savior's blood.

Thought for today: Do I trust God to fill my emptiness?


No comments:

Post a Comment