Daily Bible Verse

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Self-Inflicted Adversity September 2, 2015









Psalms 119:65-72     Do good to your servant according to your word, Lord.
66 Teach me knowledge and good judgment, for I trust your commands.
67 Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word.
68 You are good, and what you do is good; teach me your decrees.
69 Though the arrogant have smeared me with lies, I keep your precepts with all my heart.
70 Their hearts are callous and unfeeling, but I delight in your law.
71 It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees.
72 The law from your mouth is more precious to me than thousands of pieces of silver and gold.

Psalm 119:169     May my cry come before you, LORD; give me understanding according to your word.

Micah 2:7     You descendants of Jacob, should it be said, "Does the LORD become impatient? Does he do such things?" "Do not my words do good to the one whose ways are upright?

Psalm 119:25     I am laid low in the dust; preserve my life according to your word.

Psalm 119:64     The earth is filled with your love, LORD; teach me your decrees.

The difficulties we face originate from one of three sources. Some are sent to us by the Lord to test our faith, others are the result of Satan’s attacks, and still others are due to our own sinful choices.
As you consider these three causes, which type is the hardest for you to bear? I think most of us would say the last one, because we have nobody to blame but ourselves and it seems as if no good can possibly come from it. After all, the Word of God says we will reap what we have sown (Galatians 6:7), so we see nothing ahead except a painful harvest.

What this kind of thinking fails to take into account is the Lord’s redemptive abilities. Although He never promises to remove all the consequences of sin, He can use our failures to teach us to fear Him, hate evil, and walk in obedience. The difficult lessons we learn can also become our protection from sin in the future. Having suffered the pain of going our own way, we’re more likely not to take that path again.

God often uses our own mistakes as tools to get our attention. He won’t let His beloved children get away with sin, because He knows it robs us of blessings, opportunities, and even character refinement.


As painful as your situation may be, thank your heavenly Father for caring enough to send out His loving discipline. Now it’s up to you. How will you respond to His correction? When we learn from experience, the scars of sin can lead us to restoration and a renewed intimacy with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment